Fairbank ghost town (aka Fairbank Historic Townsite) is about a 20 minute drive from Tombstone. It is located along the San Pedro River within the San Pedro Riparian National Conservation Area. Fairbank was established in 1881 as a depot for the railroad. The town was named for N.K. Fairbank, one of the railroad financiers.
At this time, Tombstone, with a population of about 15,000, was one of the largest cities in the West. But the railroad did not arrive in Tombstone until 1903.
For more Ghost Towns in the area see our page "Ghost Towns and Tours of Southern Arizona" listing stories and sites around Southern Arizona.