On a Friday in mid-June, 2023, Friend Rosemary and I dined at the Sausage Deli on Grant Road in Tucson. Neighbor Roy and I had eaten here several years ago before the pandemic. Then he had an Italian Grinder and I had a hot pastrami sandwich.
Rosemary ordered our lunches. She ordered a hot pastrami & swiss on rye (it was marble not real rye). She ordered me a hot corned beef on toasted sourdough bread with cheddar cheese and macaroni salad. While my sandwich tasted OK, it had not been toasted, but rather microwaved. So it was a bit soggy. We shared a Flat Tire beer. The macaroni salad was just OK, nothing special. Thankfully, there wasn’t much of it.
I’ll let Rosemary tell you about her experience.
- First-time visitors be warned — If you choose to dine here, the name is misleading. Sausage is not on the daily menu – only offered on specialty days.
- There is no table service; order at the counter and pick up when your name is called.
- The restaurant is comparable to a typical Southwestern U.S. deli vs. a NY or Chicago deli. I’m spoiled having grown up with many an authentic deli in the vicinity.
- The menu consists primarily of cold sandwiches which are wrapped in To-Go paper although there is plenty of indoor seating and the atmosphere is pleasant.
- Good variety of bread.
- Sides cost extra and servings are small.
- Quite a selection of beers on tap, including one of my favorites: Fat Tire.
- Sandwiches can be heated but not on a grill; heating using a microwave just makes the bread gummy. Less than appetizing.
- Best Quality: The staff is very friendly and accommodating.
- For two sandwiches, one side of macaroni salad, and one beer, the tab was $27. Seems a bit on the high side, IMO.
- Out of 5 saguaros, I’d give it a 2.
In our original review of Sausage Deli, we gave it a three-and-a-half Saguaros rating. But given Rosemary’s critique and my experience, we are downgrading this review to two and a half Saguaros. Less than great.
Ms. Karen here: I’d still pick it over Subway.
754 E Grant Rd, Tucson, AZ 85719
Hours: Monday – Saturday: 10am – 5pm