9/23/20 - The Pima County Health Department has opened several free testing centers. By Appointment only. For more information visit Pima County Health Department here.
Be cautious and considerate when attending venues. Follow guidelines carefully. Protect yourself and others. This virus spreads easily. Currently the number of cases in Arizona is starting to go down. Let's keep it that way.
Please consider a Membership or Donation to your favorite entertainment center, shop or restaurant. Help them make it through this difficult time.
Under More Normal Times ...
If you can't find it here, look at our new list of websites that have Special Events here.
Check out our Performing Arts page, listing venues, and websites. Season Tickets for many venues are now on sale.
As always, please verify with the event organizer that the event is taking place.
Visiting Southern Arizona and looking for what will be happening while you are here?
Our Annual Events Page will help you plan your visit!
SEPTEMBER 2020 - updated 8/29/20
• Sonoita Labor Day Rodeo - September 5 - 7, 2020 There is a MAX allowed in.
• Showdown in Tombstone - Sept 5 - 6, 2020
• Annual Salsa and Tequila Challenge at La Encantada. POSTPONED
• CSV Oktoberfest - Looks like it is CANCELED
• Tucson Fall Gem Show , September 3 - 6, 2020, IT'S ON!
• Bisbee Blues Festival - September 19, 2020, IT's Virtual this year.
• Santa Cruz County Fair and Rodeo - Sept 12, 2020 - This is not the big one. It is the 12th Annual Tribute to Ranching.
• Heirloom Farmers Market Annual Chile Festival, Doesn't look like it will happen.
• Tucson Greek Festival, - September 25 - 27, Eat Like a Greek. ORDER ONLINE NOW.
• Cochise County Fair - Douglas, Sept 24 - 27, 2020, Doesn't look like it.
• Safford Salsa Festival, Can't find it.
• Annual Roasted Chile Festival - Don't think so.
Please consider a Membership or Donation to your favorite Venue. Help them make it through this difficult time.
• Join Old Pueblo Archaeology for a Tour of Santa Cruz de Terranate and Pitaitutgam Archaeological Sites with Archaeologist Deni Seymour. Sign up early. Saturday, October 17.
• Tucson Boys Chorus is open for enrollment the month of September.
• Season Tickets are on sale for many of the theaters in town. Find out more about the various venues on our Performing Arts Page.
• True Concord has announced its new season for 2020-2021.
• Become a member of the Fox and get the best seats. (We love the loveseats.)
• Broadway in Tucson. Season Tickets are on Sale for the 2019-2020 Season now. Choose the best seats.
• Arizona Theatre Company. Venues in Tucson and Phoenix. Season Tickets on Sale now.
Ms. Karen's Pics
Activities are opening up carefully. Please be cautious. This virus spreads easily.
• Buy a RAFFLE TICKET quickly. There are only 200 to be sold and everyone gets a print. Check it out here.
• Tucson Greek Festival, - September 25 - 27, Eat Like a Greek. ORDER ONLINE NOW. Meals are going quickly.
When you are ready to adventure out into the county for a getaway, Ron and Trina invite you to experience the wide open countryside on horseback. Out north of Benson is the Double R Guest Ranch where you can take a break from this world and enjoy a day long horseback ride out in the country. The ranch is well suited for all ages and abilities. Truly a getaway. You will come back refreshed. We were out there last winter and can't wait to get to go back. You can read our review on the Double R Guest Ranch here. Be sure to call them to learn more.
Arts & Entertainment
Check out our Performing Arts Page. All the great venues for Tucson and Southern Arizona.
Please consider a membership or donation to your favorite venue. It's worth keeping our community going.
• The Borderlands Theatre has two weekends of virtual Plays, Ingenio 2020. September 25 - 27 and October 2-4
• Tucson Museum of Art is now open Thursday - Sunday. 10am - 5pm. You must reserve your 2 hour slot.
• Here is a list of Southern Arizona Attractions that are currently open. This is an updated list from July 24.
• If you would like a statewide list including Southern Arizona vineyards, Check this list out.
• Best of the Gaslight Outdoor Shows, Saturday and Sunday September 12 & 13.
See more on our Calendar of Events this week.
• For Tombstone Business Openings and events please visit the Tombstone Chamber of Commerce.
• The Loft Cinema has a fresh batch of new films that start streaming Friday. Sign up for a membership. The Loft is a Tucson Tradition.
• Get your concessions curbside for the Loft Streaming Films, Fridays and Saturdays from 1- 5 pm. Find out how here.
• Virtual Concerts Live from Tucson Botanical Gardens every Thursday at 6 pm. Watch last week's concert now!
• The 14th Annual Autism Walk is this Saturday, September 26th. An interactive Virtual Event.
Benefits & Volunteering
• PACC has a new program. Pick up food for your dogs if you need some. Donate if you can. See our page on PACC's Pet Giveaway Program.
• Take a Virtual Hunger Walk with Tucson Community Food Bank. Saturday, September 12. You're donation will be matched.
• Santa Cruz Farmers' Market brought to you by the Community Food Bank has a drive up, Thursday's from 8 am - 10am. Watch the video above for some fun.
• The Merchants Garden has fresh Farm to Table, Lettuce, Basil, and Tilapia with Drive through convenience. Discounts for military members, health professionals, TUSD, U Arizona and Pima students and teachers, and individuals on food stamps.
SAACA is donating its membership dues to local restaurants and breweries this summer. Please support them by ordering one of the $20 Specials available this summer. I have a number of them in mind. Particularly the Gourmet Girls Quiche.
Make a difference. Join a group, volunteer, donate.
• For you Eastside dwellers: If you love wildlife and animals, please consider volunteering at the Tucson Wildlife Center. They really need your help and donations.
• Empire Ranch Restoration Work 1st Saturdays most months 8-12 pm. Help preserve our heritage.
• Volunteer at PACC, Pima Animal Care Center. They desperately need your help. AND if you are a hiker you can get your exercise walking dogs! Please help. It means a world of difference to the animals.
• Did you know that the Arizona State Museum has Docent Training Programs?
• The Mission Garden needs Gardeners, Greeters, and Go-Getters!
• Reid Park Zoo has many volunteer positions available.
History & Education
• The Presidio del Tucson is now open Wed-Sat. evenings. Take a look around the Presidio del Tucson on a Virtual Tour.
• Visit Casa Grande National Monument. While the Visitor's Center remains closed, the compound with the Big House and ruins, and picnic area are open Tuesday - Saturdays.
• The Pima County Library is a great resource for everyone. Take a look at this page at the Pima County Library.
• Did you know that the Arizona State Museum has Docent Training Programs? They remain closed.
Classes / Lectures / Talks
Parks, Gardens, Science, Nature, Health & Hiking
• Tucson Botanical Gardens has a new exhibit, La Calavera Catrinas September 17th - November 29th. Time Slots and Advance tickets required.
• There is a new Sculpture Exhibit at TBG as well.
• We encourage you to Check our SAACA's list of ONLINE CLASSES & WORKSHOPS dedicated to Arts & Culture.
• State Parks are open with restrictions.
• The Desert Museum has several Trips and Classes planned. See them all here in one place.
HIKES / NATURE WALKS / CRITTER SIGHTINGS
• I want to give birders a heads up that although the Audubon Society is giving weekly birding walks in Sweetwater Wetlands and other trips. These opportunities fill up fast. October is now full for Sweetwater Wetlands. Get on the waiting list.
• In Cochise County, Brown Canyon Ranch and Ramsey Vista Campgrounds are OPEN. Parker Canyon Lakes Campgrounds are OPEN as well. Please call first.
• State Parks and the National Forests are Opening for Hiking. Campgrounds are closed for the most part. Facilities are closed. Here is a list of opened and closed parks and facilities.
• When you are ready; the Sonoran Desert Inn invites you to take a road trip to AJO for some hiking and quality time. It is uniquely suited to host travelers safely.
For the Whole Family
• Astronomy and Observe the Moon Day has gond virtual. Saturday, September 26, 7 - 9pm
• The Reid Park Zoo is reopening to the public August 28th! You will need tickets.
• The OK Corral has reopened with guidelines. Big Nose Kate's is open with strict guidelines.
• The Arizona Historical Society has many educational fun ideas for kids and families. A wealth of ideas here.
• The Children's Museum has stepped up with a great group of activities for Children in the Playology Playbook!
• Take a look at this page at the Pima County Library. They have some great free videos for kids here.
• SAACA has a list of ONLINE ARTS and CULTURE for KIDS here.