Also see our page on Annual Events
Suggested Feature Events
as well as
- This event has passed.
San Ysidro Wheat Harvest Festival
May 18 at 8:30 am - 12:00 pm
Mission Garden is not only growing heritage crops but is bringing back the cultural traditions associated with them. The San Ysidro Festival is the re-enacted, historic, annual wheat harvest festival in mid May, corresponding to the day for Saint Isidore, patron saint of farmers and laborers. This is one of the garden's signature events, and includes all of the activities historically associated with the festival.
* Procession and blessings of fruit orchards, gardens and animals.
* Blessing of the new acequia (canal) – including traditional Tohono
O’odham directional blessing
* Harvest the garden’s wheat using traditional hand-held tools
* Thresh wheat with Amy Star’s specially trained horses
* Winnow to separate wheat from the chaff
* We use the old millstone (tahona) to mill the wheat.
* Special Presentation: "Wheat traditions in the Sonoran Desert: Trigo, tortillas y tradiciones" by Jesus Garcia, Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum
* Traditional dance performances by Santa Rosa Basket
Dancers and Tucson Chinese Cultural Center’s Lion Dancers
* Tasting traditional Sonoran pozole de trigo
* Music by Gertie and the T.O. Boyz
UA Center for Regional Food Studies
Menlo Park Neighborhood Association
Pima County Public Library – Nuestras Raices and Many Nations
The Architecture Company
* You may submit an event for consideration for publication here. https://southernarizonaguide.com/events/community/add/
Submission of your event does not guarantee that it will be published. Advertisers, free events and events deemed of interest to the general public are given priority.