Editor’s Note: 10/26/2021 We are re-evaluating our Best Mexican Restaurants. Café Poca Cosa is closed for business and Theresa’s Mosaic seems to be having staffing issues although it is still busy, which may be part of the problem.
People often ask me, “Jim, which is the best Mexican restaurant in Tucson?” I’ve eaten at so many, but could I give them a fairly objective appraisal?
Over the 2011 holidays, I invited the 13 members of my visiting family to help determine the Best Mexican Restaurant in all of Tucson. After several years of experimenting, I had already discounted several contenders and settled on Three Finalists, listed here in the order we ranked them.
NOTE: This ranking was unanimous.
The 3 Finalists
Click on the links for a full review.
- Cafe’ Poca Cosa; Downtown on Pennington. Upscale Mexican. PERMANENTLY CLOSED
- El Charro Cafe’ – Downtown on Court Street near the Tucson Museum of Art & Historic Block. Family owned and run since 1922.
- Theresa’s Mosaic Cafe’ hidden behind the McDonald’s just west of Silverbell & Grant. Classic Mexican on the westside. Hand made tortillas to die for. Currently, Mosaic seems to be having trouble staffing.
Read about them here and visit them all. Decide for yourselves. How would you rank the Best Mexican Restaurants?
- La Yaquesita Tacos: A Dining Review
- Texas Burrito Company: A Dining Review
- Rosa’s Mexican Food: A New Review
- La Olla Mexican Cafe: A Dining Review
- Nana’s Kitchen: Dining Mexican in Marana: A Review
- Boca Taco & Tequila: A Restaurant Review
- Atole de Pechita
- Mi Nidito Mexican Restaurant: A Guest Review
- Guadalajara Original Grill: A Dining Review
- St. Mary’s Mexican Food: A Dining Review
- The Boxyard: A New Eatery In Tucson
- El Cisne Restaurant & Tequila Bar : A Review
- Is Ole’ Mexican Restaurant The Best In Tucson?
- Reforma: A Dining Review
- Mariscos Chihuahua: A Little Bit of Mexico In Tucson
- Charro Steak: Just How Good is it?
- Top 10 Margaritas In Tucson: Part Dos
- In Search of Tucson’s Best Margarita – Part I
- El Guero Canelo: A Delicious Tucson Bargain Meal!
- Is El Minuto Cafe’ The Best Mexican Restaurant In Tucson?
- Pollo Feliz: A Healthy Meal At A Bargain Price!
- El Torero Mexican Restaurant: A Review!
- Santiago’s Mexican Restaurant, Bisbee
- Cafe’ Poca Cosa – A Guest Review April 2012
- Tucson Tamale Company, Are Their Tamales The Best?
- El Charro Cafe’. In Search of The Best Mexican Restaurant in Tucson!
- Theresa’s Mosaic Cafe’. In Search Of The Best Mexican Restaurant In Tucson!
- Cafe’ Poca Cosa. In Search Of The Best Mexican Restaurant In Tucson (Now Closed)
- Mi Nidito (My Little Nest)
- Elvira’s Restaurant – Tubac, AZ: A Review
- Blanco Tacos + Tequila. La Encantada Mall – Tucson.
- Wisdom’s Cafe’