From 1943 through June 1945, the 390th Bombardment Group (Heavy) was an Eighth Air Force B-17 Flying Fortress unit stationed in England. The 390th was assigned to the 13th Combat Bombardment Wing, and the group tail code was a "Square-J".
Its mission was to cripple or destroy German strategic targets, including the Messerschmitt aircraft complex at Regensburg; antifriction-bearing plants at Schweinfurt; various aircraft factories, instrument plants, and air parks; marshaling yards at Frankfurt; bridges at Cologne; oil facilities at Zeitz; multiple factories at Mannheim; naval installations at Brenmen; and synthetic oil refineries at Merseburg.
Fifteen minutes before Allied troops landed on the beaches of Normandy, the 390th bombed the French coast near Caen. Read More