Welcome to SouthernArizonaGuide.com. My name is Jim Gressinger. I’m pleased to be your guide to this region many here affectionately refer to as ‘Baja’ Arizona due to its Spanish and Mexican heritage. Southern Arizona is distinctly different from Northern Arizona. Northern Arizona has a big hole in the ground. We have the beauty of the Sonoran Desert plus 7 Sky Islands.
We were going to call ours a “visitors guide” until we realized that local residents enjoy the same destinations, attractions, restaurants, galleries, museums, and festivals as visitors. So, we just went with “Guide”.
On the other hand, if you’re only going to be here for a short visit, we do recommend those certain destinations and attractions that you should experience because they best represent the uniqueness of Baja Arizona. We also recommend many interesting side trips and backroads, such as our Wine Country and Apache Country, if you have the time.
To search for specific activities (hiking, birdwatching, golf, wine tasting, etc.), go to the Search by Interest drop down menu on the right sidebar. >>>
You can easily find our dining & lodging recommendations under Dining & Lodging on the Main Menu. Or you can use our Interactive Hotspots Maps by placing your cursor over a hotspot, then clicking on the desired content in the pop-up balloon.
A Different Kind Of Guide
SouthernArizonaGuide.com is quite different than other guides to this area.
- We don’t have to pretend that every place is great. Ours is not a government website (ArizonaGuide.com). Nor is it a membership or association website (Chamber of Commerce or Convention & Visitors Bureau). Unlike them, we don’t include the mediocre. For our viewers benefit, we discriminate between the good, the very good, and the not-so-good. If we can’t wholeheartedly recommend a place to our friends & family, it doesn’t get on SouthernArizonaGuide.com. That goes for advertising as well.
- Our recommendations for what to do and see, where to dine and stay, are based on our personal experience plus many helpful suggestions and comments from discerning friends and family members who are highly familiar with this region. Sometimes our reviews actually agree with other reviewers.
- We have far more original videos packed with compelling visuals and useful information than any other Arizona tourism site. Here you will find at least one original video feature or slideshow related to each of our recommended destinations, and usually more. Tombstone, for example, has five and counting.
- The information here is fresh. The biggest problem with printed guides is that they are out-of-date the moment they come off the press. We add or update information at least weekly. You will find at least one new feature every week.
- Our guide has a lot more authentic local history than any other guide so you can better understand the significance of the historic sites you visit, such as the missions and Apache Country.
Our mission is to make SouthernArizonaGuide.com the most interesting, useful,
accurate, and visited web guide to Tucson, Bisbee, Tubac, Tombstone and surrounding areas.